Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Corn Souffle/Casserole/Pudding - just yummy corn goodness!


This is not an old family recipe, but a new family recipe and a new tradition.  I was looking for corn souffle/pudding/casserole recipes and I just couldnt find one that I was looking for - that had the flavor combination I wanted.  I wanted to combine a fried corn (I know pork fat) with the light and creamyness of a custard/souffle, yet I didnt want to beat egg whites.  I also do not have the patience for a true souffle.  Its not practical most of the time.  So I took all of the recipes I found and then melded them together and came up with this.   It is totally awesome and of course, not very "healthy".  I will play with a healthy version of this recipe later - or if you do, post a comment and let me know

INGREDIENTS

• 1 lb thick sliced hickory smoked peppered bacon

• 2- 10 oz. pack of frozen corn

• 1/2 cup onion (chopped fine)

• 1 cup green and red bell peppers (chopped)

• 4 TBS butter

• 4 TBS plain flour

• 2 tsp salt

• 1 tsp paprika

• 1/2 tsp mustard powder

• 1/4 tsp black pepper (to taste)

• 1-1/2 cups whole milk (1/2 and 1/2 if you want more souffle consistency).

• 2 egg slightly beaten.

• 1 cup Ritz/Club (buttery)cracker crumbs

• 3 TBS butter

DIRECTIONS: 

1. Chop up bacon and fry to crisp in skillet.

2. Remove bacon and drain on paper towel.

3. Fry corn in bacon fat, until lightly tender.

4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees while mixing up casserole.

5. Put 4 TBS butter in skillet and melt. Stir in onion and bell peppers and cook until soft.

6. Mix flour with seasonings.

7. Add to skillet and cook until brown and bubbly.

8. Slowly add milk (1/2 and 1/2) while stirring. Continue stirring until the mixture bubbles and is thick.

9. Remove mixture from heat and stir in corn and egg.

10. Put the corn mixture in a 2-3 quart lightly greased baking pan or casserole dish.

11. Melt 1 TBS butter and blend with cracker crumbs in a small bowl.

12. Sprinkle the cracker mixture on top of the corn casserole.

13. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until the crackers are lightly browned. You do not cover this casserole to bake, or the cracker topping will not be crisp and browned.

No comments: